Hysteroscopy is a minimally invasive surgical procedure for the visualization of inside of the uterus. It is done by inserting a special visualization instrument called a hysteroscope through the vagina and cervical opening.
- Hysteroscopy can be done either to aid in diagnosis or to perform surgical procedures.
- Complications of hysteroscopy are rare
- Hysteroscopy can be used with other procedures, such as laparoscopy
A diagnostic hysteroscopy is carried out to diagnose the problems of the uterus. It is also used to confirm results of other tests, such as Hysterosalpinography or HSG.
An operative hysteroscopy is carried out to correct the abnormality diagnosed during a Diagnostic Hysteroscopy. It can also be performed at the same time of diagnostic hysteroscopy inorder to avoid the need for a second surgery. During operative hysteroscopy small instruments are used to correct the abnormal condition, which will insert through the hysteroscope.
- Abnormal Bleeding : Hysteroscopy can diagnose the cause of heavy or lengthy menstrual flow and treat the same using Endometrial Ablation procedure. In this procedure the Hysteroscope along with some instruments are used to destroy the uterine lining which causes heavy bleeding.
- Septum : Hysteroscopy helps to identify uterine septum, a malformation in the uterus that is present from birth.
- Polyps and Fibroids : Hysteroscopy is carried out to remove non-cancerous growths like polyps and fibroids in the uterus.
- Adhesions : Hysteroscopy is used to remove uterine adhesions, which are bands of scars in the uterus that may lead to changes in menstrual flow as well as infertility.
Benefits of Hysteroscopy
Hysteroscopy provides the following advantages compared with other more invasive surgeries:
- Possible avoidance of ‘open’ abdominal surgery
- Less pain medication needed after the surgery
- Shorter recovery time and hospital stay
- Avoidance of Hysterectomy
Guru Multispecialty Hospital is a complete infertility centre in Madurai with most sophisticated technology to craft infertility. Anish Fertility and Women Centre is a unit of Guru Hospital provide world-class infertility care to all in need.
Visit Us : infertility-center-madurai.com
Mail Us : email@example.com